This is the title of our birthing class. I think that is funny. Can anything but childbirth actually prepare you for childbirth? I am thinking no! But we decided that we needed to take a class because, well if we can't really be prepared at least we can have as much information as possible. Our class is two days long, one was yesterday and the second half is next Sunday.
We got up nice and early to get to the class by 9am. There was a lot of information that we covered. We both learned a lot of new information about pain management, both medication and non medicated, and relaxation techniques. We now need to get a pool noodle, they make fabulous massagers. Now we just need to figure out where to buy one in the middle of winter! Josh got to learn a lot of different ways to massage, and I got to benefit from him learning them. That was by far my favorite part! We seem to be the only couple in the class that are not planning on having an epidural, but we learned a lot about them and about other pain meds that I can have. Another reason I wanted to go to the class was to learn more about the policies that the hospital has. The instructor is not a nurse at the hospital but knows all the policies and also knows the things that the nurses do because they are what nurses have done for a long time. It was helpful to learn what options I will have in labor, like not having to be hooked up to the monitors all the time (they only require it for about 15 minutes/hour) and not having to get an IV right away if I don't have an epidural (I can ask for a saline lock so it is in place in case I need an IV or meds through the line) and I can ask for a clear liquid diet if I don't have the IV. Next week the biggest thing I am looking forward to is the l&d tour. Even though we have already been there twice we have only seen the admissions desk and triage.
Taking the class makes it seem like Jake is going to be here really soon! 9 weeks sounds like a lot longer than I think it is! As of today, we have 60 days left until his due date. What the heck! It was just under 100 not too long ago! While I am really excited and can't wait for him to be here, it is scary at the same time!
No comments:
Post a Comment