Potty Training Trained
Obviously this is a post about pottying, so quick disclaimer, there are bodily functions mentioned frequently, if that bothers you I would suggest skipping this post.
Wow. So we have been letting Jake take the lead on potty training mostly. We bought him a potty a while back for him to have and practice on but other than a few times, he wasn't all that interested, but he showed all the physical signs of being ready. When we went to his 2 year check up the pedi she said to not mention the potty at all for a month. So we didn't and I just figured we'd wait until later to really work on it and just try to sit on it occasionally.
Last Monday just on a whim, I sat Jake on the potty and he went. So later that day I tried again and he went again. He went 3 times on Monday and three times on Tuesday. Since he had finally figured out HOW to go I thought we would make a real effort on Wednesday. He went diaper free at home and wore training pants when we went out and only had one (poop) accident. I was totally impressed. I was not expecting that at all and the first real day of potty training with no pee accidents is awesome. I know pooping in the potty can take longer so I wasn't too concerned about that. So we went out and bought some big boy underwear. Jake picked out Cars underwear. I bought a small pack not really anticipating them being completely successful that quickly. Thursday he wore underwear and made it almost until nap time with no accidents. He had a small pee accident right before lunch, but the rest of the day he great peeing and pooping in the potty. Friday was a repeat of Thursday, but he did great while we were at the gym and story time and had no problem going in the bathrooms at both places. So I figured out that time right before lunch we needed to make sure he went. Saturday morning we went to Grammy's and came home after lunch pottied and took a nap. No accidents at all Saturday or Sunday or Monday! Whoa! Unfortunately Jake has had some tummy troubles the past two days so he has had one poop accident each of the last two days. Diarrhea and a newly potty trained kid is not a good combination. But both times he was able to tell me and finish on the potty! Hopefully the tummy issues are better tomorrow.
I am just beyond impressed that he has done so well and so quickly! He wears underwear at nap time and hasn't wet the bed at all and while we still have him wearing a diaper at night, he has woken up dry since Friday. Josh and I are so proud of him!
Although we are now having to completely rethink how our vacation this summer is going to work with a potty trained kid instead of a diapered one! But I will gladly take that challenge!
No comments:
Post a Comment