Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Growing boy

Yesterday we took Jake to the doctor for his 9 month appointment. It was a happy visit because he didn't have to get any shots! His pedi said he looks great and he has definitely met all of his milestones. She also commented on his lack of stranger anxiety. While he wasn't due for any vaccinations, this would have been the time he got a flu shot. However, when we gave him eggs a couple of months ago he got some hives on his face and torso, so he didn't get a flu shot. He did have to get some routine bloodwork done (we will talk about that in a second) so the doctor wanted to go ahead and have him checked for an egg allergy with that so we could be sure. She did say that most kids grow out of egg allergies and Jake's seems pretty mild as he eats stuff made with eggs and doesn't have any reaction to it. She also said it may not be an allergy at all and could have just been a fluke. Hopefully we will know soon.

So we went to get his bloodwork done today. I was worried about how he would react because I knew they were going to have to take it from his arm which meant he would have to be held down. Jake is not a fan of being still in general and most definitely does not like being restrained. So between that and getting stuck with a needle I was sure it was going to be a mess. Well he definitely did not like being restrained. I had to hold him in my lap and hold his arm out so the girl could first find his vein then get blood. As soon as she put the elastic around his arm he started freaking out and dang he is strong. I had a  hard time keeping him still and holding his arm down. Although he didn't have any sort of reaction when she stuck his with the needle, which was good because I don't know that I would have been able to control him then. Of course as soon as she was done and took the elastic thing off his arm, he was immediately fine. I was glad about that.

So his 9 month stats:

Height: 28.5 inches (58th percentile)
Weight: 20.5lbs   (50th percentile)

He has definitely slowed down in the growth department. (maybe he is listening to me finally!)

Not sure what this big boy did with our baby

Daddy and Jake reading before bed

In his big boy pajamas

No comments:

Post a Comment