Friday, May 10, 2013

Brothers

Jake has been an absolutly incredible big brother. He loves to introduce Owen to everyone and show him to people. He tells them, this is my baby brother Owen. Most of the time he is really good about tolerating a lot of my attention on Owen while I am feeding him or while he is sleeping. Once in a while I have to remind him that screaming is not a good idea during those times, but for the most part he does really well. We have been very careful with how we word things and making sure we don't blame things on Owen when we ask him to do or not to do something. We don't want him to resent Owen by saying be quiet so he can sleep. This is still Jake's home and life too and it is important to us to foster a good relationship from the beginning. 

Jake loves to cuddle and hold Owen, of course, he really wants to hold him right as he is getting ready for nap and bed. But if Owen starts crying he will try to calm him down for about 5 seconds before wanting me to take him. My favorite is when Owen cries and he yells to me, Mama Owen is hungry! He knows that we have to change his diaper and loves to help with the poopy diapers and see the poop. If I need something he will go get it for me and rarely do I have to ask more than once if it is something for Owen (any other time his selective hearing usually kicks in).

Having 2 kids, and 2 boys, is definitely new territory for me. I was worried about splitting my attention between them and Jake feeling like he was not getting the same attention that he was used to and worried about them not having a great relationship that I always envision, but so far neither of those have been an issue. Jake loves Owen and Owen will stare at Jake when he is awake and Jake is talking to him. I know that as they get older we will still have to help foster that relationship, but I am glad that it is off to a positive start! It is such a cool thing to watch for me, not having any siblings of my own. I can't wait to see how they grow together and play as they get older.

Jake hanging out on the play mat with Owen
 
 
With all my babies on my birthday
 
 

1 comment:

  1. You've always been like a sister to me, Brooke. The boys are learning from heckuva good "sister" in my opinion. Everyone looks so happy! Keep up the good work, pretty face!

    -Nikki

    ReplyDelete