Tuesday, June 21, 2011

One Heck of a Trip...plus some

We headed to Austin this past weekend for a rugby tournament/visit with friends. After a little bit later than planned start down there, we got on the road and were hoping that Jake would fall asleep quickly and sleep most of the way there. Well he had other plans and ended up taking about an hour and a half to fall asleep. Once we got to the Ridenhours house (close to 11pm) Jake decided hedidn't want to go back to sleep. It took probably about an hour to get him to sleep and then it was in the bed with us, not the pack n play. He only slept for about 4 hours before waking up and he was not about to go back to sleep.

Fortunately, he and I were staying at the house and hanging out while Josh headed to the tournament. We swam most of the day, breaking for lunch and a much needed 2.5 hr nap for Jake. We had a blast playing with Gabrielle and Emmylou all day. I am so glad they have a pool though because it was HOT! 106 was the high I believe. All the kids were nice and worn out though. Although you wouldn't have known it the way Jake still fought sleeping that night. We have decided he just doesn't like sleeping in places other than his crib.

We were planning on leaving pretty early the next morning to stop at grandpa and grandma Rodriguez's house and go to breakfast. Here is where the fun really starts. After we got all loaded up and ready to go Josh went to start the car and it was dead. We just assumed it needed a jump so Brad jumped the car and we were on our way. About 3/4 of a mile down the road the car died. We got another jump from Brad after Josh ran (literally) back to their house. We went to Autozone to get the car tested and they said it was the alternator. We called around to the few places that were open to get some quotes and as we were getting ready to leave a mobile mechanic pulls up and connects his better equipment to the car and says no it is just the battery. So we replaced the battery and headed on our way (an hour and a half after the first try). We got to Round Rock, got brunch, and stopped to fill up the car before leaving. After filling up the car Josh tries to turn it back on and nothing. We tried to get a jump from grandpa and nothing. So Jake and I head back to the house and Josh waits for the tow truck to get it towed to the only shop open on a Sunday. The shop told Josh it would be a while before they even got to it to test it so he came back to the house to wait.

In the mean time Jake was playing and fighting a nap. I finally went back into a bedroom and got him to sleep for a little while. I had also talked with my mom who said she would come pick Jake and I up so I could get to work Monday. We hung out for a while just waiting to hear from the car place and if they could get it fixed the next day. We were assuming alternator again and knew that it was a time consuming fix and it was already late. My mom got there about 5pm, literally 2 minutes after that as we were getting ready to walk out the door with all of our stuff, Josh gets a phone call from the repair place. Apparently it was not the battery and not the alternator, it was the connector to the battery. And our car was ready to go.

So we got the car, grabbed some quick dinner, and 10 hours after we originally tried to leave, headed home. With my mom behind us just in case. And we finally got home at 9:30.

But wait, that couldn't be the end of it. We all slept in this morning because we were all exhausted. But I did have to go to work so I got ready and left. I had to stop to get gas (one of the things I was planning on doing when we got home Sunday). After I got gas my car had a difficult time starting and then my check engine light came on. Headed back home to switch cars with Josh so he could take mine in and I could get to work. My car needed 3 new sensors. So we got that taken care of.

And just to top things off, I had a dr's appt Monday afternoon which I left work early for. Dr was running behind but I finally got called back after about an hour and a half of waiting. About 20 minutes later her nurse came in to tell me she got called to go deliver a baby and they didn't know how long that might take so I could wait or reschedule.

It had been a long few days and I am ready for a break! Hopefully the next few days will be much less stressful!

Part of Jake's gift to Josh for father's day

Gabrielle, Jake and Emmylou

Dog

He found something with wheels to push!

I love this face!


No comments:

Post a Comment